Man City fan loses job as chef after throwing PIE into crowd during match


A MANCHESTER City fan has lost his job as a chef after hurling a PIE into the crowd during a Champions League match.

Aaron Johnson, 30, is also banned from footie matches for three years after sending the pastry propelling through the air.


Aaron Johnson, 30, pleaded guilty to launching the pie after the match on March 9Credit: MEN Media
Tensions were high between Sporting Lisbon and City supporters in the Ethiad Stadium


Tensions were high between Sporting Lisbon and City supporters in the Ethiad StadiumCredit: Getty

He claimed he had been hit by a flying pie during the game against Sporting Lisbon on March 9 and flung it back in a “moment of madness'”.

Tensions had reached fever pitch during the pivotal match, with fans on both sides launching missiles – leaving two City supporters injured.

A number of fans were arrested while 100 people were refused entry into the Ethiad Stadium and another 47 were ejected.

When the final whistle blew, a man – later identified as Johnson – was spotted by cops launching an array of items towards Sporting fans.

Family ‘broken’ as sister, 33, vanishes after ‘getting into van with man’
Lockdown blamed as parents warned hepatitis cases in under 5s on the rise

Among his ammunition was a cup containing liquid and a pie, Manchester Magistrates’ Court heard.

It is not clear whether anyone was injured by the pastry that was sent soaring through the air.

Johnson was cautioned by cops, to who he then admitted that he had “thrown a pie and a drink.”

He was placed in handcuffs and arrested, whilst continuing to tell officers he had “only thrown a pie and a drink”.

The 30-year-old, who has no previous convictions, later said in a police interview that he “knew what he did was stupid”.

Johnson has since lost his job as a chef due to his actions.

The lifelong City fan, from Stockport, pleaded guilty to throwing a missile at a spectator’s area.

He was slapped with a £40 fine and banned from going to any football matches in the UK and abroad for three years.

His defence lawyer Nnamdi Inegbu said: “This was a one off, it was a moment of madness.”

He added that Johnson had been a “lifelong supporter”, going to his first game at just two weeks old and holding a season ticket from aged five, the court heard.

Mr Inegbu said there had been an “element of provocation” on both sides during the game.


He continued: “He will say the pie he threw was an object that had landed on him. It landed on his face and clothes and he hauled it back.

“He deeply regrets his actions and recognises he let himself down, let his friend down and let Manchester City down.

“He can’t believe he put himself in this position and is disgusted with his actions.

“He understands why the police have a zero tolerance approach to this behaviour and he wishes, through me, to apologise to Manchester City, the players, the supporters, his friends and family.”

Johnson was also ordered to pay £34 victim surcharge and £85 court costs alongside his football banning order.

It prohibits him from entering any premises for the purpose of watching a football match.

As well as this, Johnson must surrender his passport for any matches outside the UK, and he is not to attend within a mile radius of any stadium on City match days within four hours before or four hours after.


Prosecutor Eileen Rogers told the court there had been a “dramatic increase” in violence and anti-social behaviour since supporters were allowed back into stadiums following restrictions during the pandemic.

The game at the Ethiad had been categorised as “medium risk” to public safety and public order by police.

Ms Rogers said: “Items were thrown by both sides, City and the opposing side, in the lower section of the stadium, and were observed to be abusive towards each other and the police had told them to stop.

Tim Westwood ‘victims reveal they felt “dirty” after he performed sex acts’
Urgent WhatsApp warning as all 2BILLION users told to delete text immediately

“Several items, including coins, were thrown towards the lower divide, officers had to stand between them and were advised to wear helmets to protect themselves.

“The North West Ambulance Service treated two City supporters who had been hit by missiles. Tensions were high and the police were vigilant.”


Source link